Do you and your partner have trouble communicating? Are you unable to forgive them for something that happened months or years ago? Is there a lack of intimacy or trust in your relationship?
Couples therapy provides a safe, controlled space to resolve these conflicts and not only repair, but strengthen, your relationship. This form of psychotherapy promotes open, honest conversations mediated by a licensed professional with a deep understanding of primary relationship networks and the role of individuals within them.
Studies show that couples therapy is effective in reducing distress in relationships. Most find the experience to be empowering, transformative, and insightful.
Benefits of Couples Therapy:
- Provide a safe environment to exchange ideas
- Gain a deeper understanding of yourself, your partner, and your relationship
- Discover the root causes of conflicts
- Improve communication skills
- Restore intimacy
- Gain perspective
- Find forgiveness
- Re-establish trust
- Learn how to work through disagreements to find resolve
- Elicit/encourage support
- Promote acceptance of the others opinions, feelings, and faults
- Encourage personal growth
- Learn how to listen with intention
- Learn new relationship skills
Seeking Couples Therapy
Research shows a couple may be unhappy for six years before seeking couples therapy. By this point, the emotional bond has been significantly weakened. Resentment and anger have set in.
Seeking couples therapy sooner rather than later can save years of stress, unhappiness, maybe even divorce proceedings. You owe it to yourself and your partner to address these issues honestly and efficiently. Don’t forget they may be having just as much trouble expressing themselves and resolving inner turmoil as you are, even if they aren’t communicating it.
Couple therapy can help resolve existing conflicts, prevent future conflicts, or just help maintain a healthy relationship. Whether you are a new couple or coming up on your golden anniversary, the right couples therapist can help.